Monday, July 6, 2009

FOLLOWED UP WITH A GREAT (or near great) WEEK

Becky's brother and sister-in-law were coming down from Ft. Walton Beach for a visit and we had lots of fun things planned. We had tickets for the space center, a tee time for a round of golf, plans to tour Patrick Air Force Base, and reservations at the Chart House on July 4 for an anniversary celebration. The trip to the emergency room had not been included in our plans.

Ron and Jennifer were to arrive on Wednesday evening. I was washing dishes (yes, I am rather domesticated) after lunch Wednesday when a glass decided to break in the dishwater. I did not notice it until after I ran my hand down inside it. Unfortunately, my whole hand would not fit and the broken part of the glass wound up between my little finger and ring finger on my right hand. The five stitches that followed required cancellation of the tee time, but the rest of the long holiday weekend was great.

We live about seven miles from the space center but had not visited in several years. We found that there had been many changes since we were there last. The biggest and best of those changes was the addition of the "Shuttle Launch Experience."


A T-38 trainer sits in front of the Shuttle Launch Experience

The simulator is designed to give you the feeling of actually riding along on a shuttle launch. Passengers experience all the different stages of a launch, from ignition to yaw, launch, roll, power up, and separation. When the simulator arrives in orbit, the roof opens and you find yourself in the open cargo bay of the shuttle staring at an incredible view.



Jennifer, Becky, and Ron being tourists

Retired Air Force Master Chief Ron took us on a tour of Patrick Air Force Base on Friday. I could tell by the look on his face that he really missed active duty....NOT!! By the time the week end was over, I got the feeling that Ron and Jennifer had enjoyed the visit almost as much as Becky and I. But sadly for the three of them, Monday morning rolled around. They hooked up their Airstream and headed for home about the same time Becky headed back to work. I guess me and the boys will just hang out here at the house until the stitches come out.

No comments: