Saturday, May 3, 2008

My First Anniversay as a Floridian


Today is the first anniversary of my "arriving" as a Floridian. On May 3, 2007 I made one final visit to my physician of many years for a last physical, then climbed into my little truck and headed south. Becky had been living in our retirement home for almost a year by then. She received a job offer that she could not refuse and I had to stay behind to complete enough on-the-job time to become vested in the pension plan. I could hardly walk off and leave that guaranteed income laying on the table.


I must confess that I was afraid I might become bored after a short period of "inactivity". I will also confess that that has not happened. With the Midnight Storm around, nobody can get bored. We spend most of our time together, riding around in the golf cart "patrolling the neighborhood", or riding down the road in the convertible. He lets me spend some time on the internet while he takes his naps. Lucky for me, they are frequent.


I have not lost touch with my roots. Thanks to the wonderful world of the internet, I read the headlines from "back home" almost every day. I am able to stay in touch on an almost daily basis with friends and family, and if any of you think that there is a possibility of my becoming a Gator convert, one look at my golf cart will knock that notion out of your head.


The paint job cost me two tickets to the 50th. Anniversay running of the Daytona 500, but the best part is it was done by a die-hard Gator fan. He did a great job on it even though it broke his heart. Good thing he was family (our daughters brother-in-law).

No comments: